Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Future Me

Namit a 12th standard student from Ryan International School, Mumbai had just reached Bangalore to visit his parents during summer holidays. After a hearty welcome and a good supper he woke up the next morning and while having breakfast with his family, Mr. Gautam Das, Namit’s father asked what plans he had post completing his studies? Namit answered instantly, I want to become a writer or a journalist, Namit’s father a well know businessmen in the city of Bangalore was not very happy with his son’s aspiration to become a writer. We have a business empire to run and you are my only offspring, therefore, you have to opt for a career in Finance or Business Administration my son. No further discussions happened on the subject as Namit had to go out to meet a childhood friend of his. As he moved out of the house, Mrs. Das, Namit's mother requested him to return a couple of books that she had brought from the city library. Ok said Namit and drove out in his father’s car towards the library. Namit entered and walked straight towards the librarian. Good morning sir, he wished and it was while handing over the books that he realized something strange about the man, wait a minute, Namit thought, this man looks exactly like me. Nothing like this had ever happened with Namit, he could not believe his eyes and kept staring at this gentlemen, who himself seemed to have been surprised, but more than his pale face the man looked scared and tried avoiding Namit by walking away from him. Namit by now had all kinds of thoughts coming to him, speaking to him-self he thought may be his mother had an affair at one time and the librarian is his real father. Coming back to his senses he realized that the librarian was no more there but could see him walk out the corridor, he ran towards him and once besides him, asked, excuse me sir, may I know your name? After few more tries, when there was no response, Namit just walked faster and stood in front of the librarian, thus stopping him the very instance. May I know your name? Namit repeated. I cannot mentioned a thing, actually I am not even suppose to talk to you, please leave me alone, but Namit was too curious and kept asking the same question. OK! I will tell you with one condition, you will not discuss this with anyone or else there will be a disastrous outcome, I will not discuss this with anyone, said Namit, eagerly waiting for the man to speak. I am no one else but you from the future, Namit just stared at him dumbfounded, ok, go on. The librarian said he was Namit the same person, only that he was from the future, 30 years from that day where they were. By now Namit was numb in his head, but managed to murmur few words, how all of this was possible?

Let me explain said the librarian, the time from where I come, technology has so evolved that people can travel to different times, in the future as well as in the past. I am right now in the past with you. Namit could not control his curiosity, as now he was aware this man can tell him about his future. So what am I 30 years from now? Writer, an actor, let me know. There was a moment of silence, post which the librarian spoke, the terms to time travel is that we cannot reveal any information about the future. Please, just answer one question and I will not trouble you anymore. Ok, fire, came the reply, do I become a Hollywood actor or a writer as I have always dreamed of, none came the reply once again, you do not, you become an entrepreneur like your dad, in fact a bigger businessmen than what your father is. How is that possible? I have never thought of becoming a businessman, never, and I don’t like the idea. Well, that’s what the truth is said the librarian and started walking once again while telling Namit not to follow him as he had answered one question of his. Goodbye Future-Namit, said Namit and he too started walking towards his car that was parked in the basement.

As he drove towards his friends place, he kept thinking about what the librarian had told about him becoming an entrepreneur. Maybe I should spend more time with my dad in his office. While still deep in thoughts, he saw his childhood friend Rashid standing outside his house gate ready to welcome Namit whom he was meeting after 2 long years. As Namit came out of his car they both hugged each other and started walking towards the house. It was already quite a day for Namit, so he just kept silent throughout the lunch speaking only few words and thinking about his future and his future buddy whom he just bid goodbye.

Copyright © 2011 PRO WRITERS

Books Published Posthumously from AbeBooks

Signed Copy of "The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet"

Beautiful Book Design at AbeBooks





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

SHORT STORY TABLOID © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates